Header Ads

Making a Little Stained Glass Project

Making a Little Stained Glass Project

I am very new to stained glass art. I took my first class with Rich and Joel and found that it wasn't a difficult process. In fact, it was a kin to quilt making. Once you understand the basics, acquire the appropriate tools, and understand the medium you're ready to go. 

Step One: Adjusting a picture/idea/pattern

Stained glass pictures/ideas/patterns are unique to each person. They show your tastes, your interests, and your level of expertise. I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew and wrestle my way through the process... learning as I go. The project below is one of my first. 

 

Step Two: Copying, numbering, and cutting the pattern

Once a pattern has been selected. Copying is important. My patterns tend to be too large for a copier. I use large sheets of paper and draw my pattern out, then I use a light-board to painstakingly make an exact replica. I am careful to make sure my measurements are exact, as this stained glass' frame is already made.   

I color one pattern to match the glass color I have/want. Then I number each pattern piece. I have to be careful with this, as each pattern piece has its own number. 

I cut each piece and lay it on the table. I have scissors that cut a 1/16th inch notch between the pieces to make room for the foil (I'll show later in step five.)


Step Three: Cutting the glass to match the pattern

This bit is tricky. Cutting the glass often causes cut fingers. I have yet to create a stained glass project without a box of bandaids. Specially designed glass cutters make this process easier than it looks. Watch Out! A nice pair of glass cutters will set you back about thirty bucks. Understanding how glass breaks and how a cutter can manipulate glass is information that is best learned through trial and error. Inexperience and mistakes can often be fixed with a grinder.

 

Step Four: Putting each cut piece on the colored pattern

As I cut and grind each piece, I put each cut piece on the colored pattern. This helps me keep the pattern true. It's also extremely motivating. It can be hard to put your project away at the end of the day, as each placed piece is one step closer to completing your project.


Step Five: Foiling each piece

In order for each piece to be secure and attach to each other, an artist must laboriously foil each piece. Below is the results of foiling each piece in a previous project. Foiling each piece with copper allows the solder to adhere and hold the glass pieces together.


Step Six: Soldering

Soldering is a talent unto itself. Although I am much better at it now, almost always, Rich is much more practiced and does the soldering. This helps us keep our stained glass projects a combined effort.


Step Seven: Patina

To add a patina to a project is not necessary, but it does add a level of depth and gives your project a sense of completion. Different patinas are available. We chose a black patina to show off and contrast with the whites and bright colors.


Step Eight: Installation

This is my favorite step! In the case our Holy Spirit glass project, Rich had a bit more solder in one corner, and this kept it from fitting properly. Rich simply removed the extra solder and reapplied the patina. We do have a quarter inch cushion on the top and on the side of the frame. Alaska is earthquake prone and gets a little shaky now and again. This quarter inch protects the glass during these small events. --A larger earthquake will cause problems more important than our little stained glass project!

 

Result




No comments